March 26, 2006

Pregnancy tea

This evening as I was trying to rip the tag off of my mother's milk tea bag and some of the leaves fell into my tea, I was reminded of daily straining good ol' pregnancy tea. It was recomended by my 'midwife' November back when I was first pregnant with Eowyn. I ended up being persuaded and drank it religiously from about two months into my pregnancy. It consists of alfalfa, nettles, red raspberry, and oat straw, and tastes pretty much like something a horse would eat. All the stuff in it is supposed to be really great for you, tons of vitamins, helps nausea, helps you sleep, gives you energy....and the list goes on. It actually really did work, and that is why I recomend it to every pregnant friend. There are only a few minor setbacks. The first is that you're supposed to drink a quart a day. Four cups of horse feed drink a day-ughh. All I can say is pinch your nose and chug. Actually after a while you get pretty used to it, and can put other kinds of tea bags in (good earth)to help it out. Second thing is that the best deal to last you through pregnancy is to buy from this bulk herb place (I love them) where you have to buy in one pound increments. To make the tea mix, you need two parts of a couple different herbs, so you end up ordering six pounds total. If you have not ever owned six pounds of tea, let me tell you, it is quite a bit. You have to mix it all together too, which is only possible in something huge, like a garbage bag. Then, where to store? Some air tight large container. I guess a five gallon bucket would work-maybe. The last thing is the best, because no one else seems to have had the problem-or maybe they haven't mentioned it. It was so wierd. Like it happened over night. We were in Oregon helping Derek's family move, and I thought my teeth looked kind of brown, but then I thought maybe it was just the light. I mean, it couldn't have really been my teeth - the same teeth I always get complemented for, for their whiteness. So I forgot about it. Then I saw Curtis, and he asked me why my teeth were brown. Aaakkk! It was true! I had brown teeth! Eeewww! I was mortified, seriously, my life was over. I would never smile again. Elena without smiles is like christmas cookies without sprinkles. Then, as we were driving home, I looked in the little mirror on the visor, and kind of scraped at my tooth firmly and.. viola! Scratched the brown right off! I couldn't understand it, cause I had tried brushing them pretty hard when I first noticed the color change. So I got one of those extra firm toothbrushes (Who really uses those anyway? Captain iron gums?) and after a little while of scrubby scrub, thank God, I had white teeth again. Wierd huh? Almost changed my whole life. Never had the problem again, but I do still have left over tea.

5 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I love the line about elena without smiles like christmas cookies without sprinkles! Any suggestions for energy boosts for the non-pregnant. (I'm afraid you're going to say exercise and I know it's true!) Let's just say that today I fell asleep folding laundry. In the middle of the afternoon. I don't dare start drinking coffee without you here to laugh at me :)

8:38 PM  
Blogger Elena said...

If you drink coffee, we could get chatty online!

9:06 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm still drinking mine! Four pounds to go.

9:55 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

okay, i am dead tired a lot(i do drink coffee), so i try exercise, and afterwards I crash further than I would've if I hadn't exercised. Does it take continual exercise, and eventually the energy comes? I could really use consistant energy. Maybe vitamins?

8:11 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Why don't you put up a little roadside stand and sell bags of tea? And you could also sell fudge,and jewelry, and cookies.

7:51 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home