April 24, 2006

Best cat ever

Yup. Sad day. Actually, they put him to sleep on my birthday. Great. It was a good decision to let him go. I mean, there's a point when giving a cat an IV to keep him hydrated has just got to end. His name? Buttercup. How manly. Well, he's been known to go by Buddy, Bud, Buddence, and Buddycup. (Better than our other cat Lulu, nicknamed Lucifer by my brother.) It's funny in my family, because if each of us was asked, we'd say it was OUR cat. Even though I haven't lived at home for over seven years, he is still my cat. You just remember your own little bonding moments with the Budster. In my (ahem) former days, when I would come home late, he would always be waiting outside for me. I'd go to the back door, and as soon as it was open a crack, he would scurry in and up to my room to wait for me while I took a few gulps of milk or water from the pitcher. (Yeah, it's not only a guy thing.) Those were some of my last memories of our times together before I left home and he chose my dad as his soulmate. Earlier memories were of my younger brother being afraid of him, and hiding him under a garbage can, or carrying him around by the tail. (Thankfully this was a short phase.) I must admit...oh, I feel so bad...I used to stick him in my dresser, so he couldn't get away, or lock him in my room or closet. I just wanted him all to myself, to cuddle and love. I even dressed him up in doll clothes a couple times. I drew sooo many pictures of that cat during elementary school. Butter was my inspiration. He had to be the most laid back, forgiving cat ever. He also had the loudest meow in the world, and if he was outside and wanted in, you were gonna hear about it. He even used to throw himself against my parents bedroom door to try to open it. We would say he could talk. He would stretch his paws way up to the kitchen doorknob, and we would say, "What do you want Buddy?" and he would reply, "Ooowww." He was getting up there though. When I was home last year, I clipped back his claws, 'cause they were totally sticking out, and then he couldn't even get on the couch, because he didn't have the strength. He had used his claws as little grappling hooks. I figure he was about 17, which is pretty ridiculous when you figure that makes him 119 in cat years. Yup. Time to go. Bye bye Buddy.

5 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

that is sad, but i'd rather have it go down that way than to wake up and on your way to school find your favorite little furry bundle of love curled up dead under your neighbors car, her soft belly still full of the most beautiful kittens ever, you just knew they would be, and were waiting with such excitement and anicipation to see them... sorry to be morbid... that's how i had to say goodbye to my little mouse eater... she was the best to me, and my inspiration too... the only difference is that nobody could have said she was theirs, everyone knew she was mine... she preferred me always, slept in my bed, sat on my lap, drank the milk out of my cereal bowl... we always said she could talk too... needless to say, i was devestated.. i held her stiff little body and screamed and cried like a temermental 2 yr old for hours... i was 16... pretty pathetic eh? well i still miss her...no other cat in the world could ever replace her... she was always gentle and friendly and affectionate, knew how to play without hurting me... except one time on accident, and i swear she even seemed sorry...anyway... she was cool... she was white with orange spots that were striped and i loved her like she were my best friend

8:16 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yes, we all miss our Buttercup-Buddy-Sir Butter of cup, etc. We had him for just about 18 years, so we really have to be thankful for that. He went peacefully with Elena's mom and younger brother right with him to the very last.
I'll bet I know which brother called my DARLING Louise Lucille, Lucifer! That's terrible!!

9:04 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

MY NAME'S ELENA AND I NEVER WRITE!

10:23 PM  
Blogger Elena said...

THAT'S BECAUSE I HAVE TWO KIDS, BABYSIT ANOTHER ONE EVERY AFTERNOON, DO THE BOOKEEPING AND ALSO NOW HAVE TO TAKE CARE OF MY GIMPY HUSBAND THAT LAYS IN BED TAKING PAINKILLERS!

11:43 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

i am crying elena! i remember him and now i am missing my old childhood cats. some people do not like cats and here is some solid testimony of love for a cat even when the lover has allergies against them. bye buddy.

10:08 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home