May 6, 2006

Green beansicles

There is some point in the life of a parent, when you realize that you've crossed over the the 'parent realm.' There is no going back to even thinking like a normal human being, or having a conversation that doesn't at some point include the current events of your offspring. I was in denial for a while, trying to keep up with the 'non parent' conversation pieces, but now I know it's a done deal. I simply cannot stop myself. I realized this today after telling absoloutley everyone that Eowyn ate her green beans. Seriously. This was the high point of my day. The last person I told seemed to be looking for some way to get away from me, "Oh darn! I left my water bottle over...umm... there...gotta go!" I guess a seven month old eating her green beans happily is not everyone's idea of in depth conversation, but hey, I like it. So...wanna hear the story? Maybe I just need to get it out of my system.

When Jed was just a wee little beanie baby, I used to make all his baby food. As far as I can remember, he liked it all, ( time does warp some memories) and it was a great money saver. I just tried to remember how I made it. Frozen green beans. Defrost and puree. Refreeze in ice cube tray. Ta da! Baby food! Baby food that Eowyn would not eat. I was sooo frustrated. Every bite was denied with a little strawberry tongue blowing a raspberry at me. I finally diluted it with enough carrot and rice cereal to satisfy her miniature tastebuds. Well...I had to pinch her button nose a few times to get her to open up. Today I had an idea that maybe she didn't like it because the texture was still a little ...umm ...textured. I put all twenty eight cubes of green goodness into a pot and boiled them for a bit. I wasn't sure if frozen veggies are just par boiled or fully cooked. Then I gave the finished product a go in the processor and it was green beansicle time once more. Except this time I came out with only seventeen cubes. Jeesh! Boiled off a bunch of water, huh? I gave the midget a nibble to test out the new creation...and...she opens up for more! Success! Yes! Another problem solved! My daughter eats my cooking, I haven't failed as a mother so soon into her solid food life! I can go on living! Hip hip horray! Later at dinner, the whole bowl of rice cereal, grean beans, and a bit of carrots (just in case) was eaten with nary a raspberry. Joy of joys.

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

that IS exciting!!!!!!!
I love you, elena!!!!!!!!!!!11

1:28 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

This is what mom-blogs are for. Congratulations on your success!

7:45 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I share in your joy and excitement!
Rebeca

7:48 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home